In 1876-77 John Leonard was again captain and 11 matches were played of which 9 were won and 2 drawn (Ely and Hereford). Newport beat Pontypool (2), Cardiff (2), Hereford (2), Panteg (2) and Swansea.
The first match against Cardiff was played on 2nd December 1876 at Newport and this was the first match that admission was charged at 6d (2.5p). Hereford arrived at Newport for the third match short and Newport loaned them 5 players. Newport scored 4t to 1g, 1t in a 12-aside match which was then regarded as a 0 v 0 draw.
New names to appear were : T. E. Lewis, son of Ebenezer Lewis (Maindee), R. Lane, E. Jenkins, son of a ship-owner who lived at Brynderwen, Maindee, B. Newman (brother of A. A. and C. H.), T. Mitchell (brother of W. and A. C.), Edgar Evans and Mitchell Graham. It is interesting to note that a number of the early players were ex-Monmouth School boys including C. H. Newman, W. Wood, T. J. S. Clapp, G. F. Harding and G. Rosser. This reflected the influence of Old Monmouthians in launching the club and adopting rugby football.