The regular playing place was the Marshes, later Shaftesbury Park. The Western Mail had reported on 5th May 1875 on events the previous day, under a column headed "Newport Town Council":-
"PUBLIC WORKS REPORT"
"After the minutes of the local board of health had been read, the report of the Public Works Committee was read. Several plans had been examined, and some approved and others disapproved. The Newport Athletic Club had applied for the use of the marshes on 24th June." This was probably for an Athletics meeting.
"The report was adopted."
On 12th May 1875 the Western Mail reported further on the previous day's quarterly meeting of Newport Corporation. After much debate regarding possible new housing, brick making and recreational use about the future of the marshes "Permission was also given to Newport Athletic Club to use the Marshes".